Gardner’s Basin at the north end of Absecon Island, where Clam Creek meets Absecon Inlet, was named after John H. Gardner who was mayor of Atlantic City from 1868-1872, and a Congressman for Atlantic County. Mr. Gardner was born in Atlantic county, October 17, 1845,and resided there all his lifetime, excepting during his term of service in the Civil War. He served in the 6th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry from 1861 to 1865 and 1 year in the United States Veteran Volunteers.In September 1864, the original enlistments of the unit expired by law, and the men who served a full three years were mustered out of service. Men of the 6th New Jersey who had re-enlisted or were recruited after the regiment was formed were folded into the 8th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry, with whom they served for the duration of the war.
Gardner's Basin was home for a while of the reproduction of the Flying Cloud, a clipper ship that carried passengers from the East Coast to the West Coast around Cape Horn before the transcontinental railroad was built. The reproduction was built by engineer and modeler Johnston. Ultimately, the ship was purchased by Atlantic City, to be the centerpiece of a tourist-commercial development. The plan never developed, and the ship eventually fell into ruin. The restaurant named the Flying Cloud changed hands but was demolished after the devastating storm Sandy. Today the area has an aquarium, fishing boats, tour boats, craft shops and popular restaurants.